Idyllwild School will honor Red Ribbon Week® with a host of activities from Oct. 14 to 18. Red Ribbon Week® began in 1988 by Congressional proclamation after the death of Drug Enforcement Agent Enrique “Kiki” Camarena.
Camarena was kidnapped and killed in Mexico in 1985 in retaliation for investigating the involvement of the Mexican Army, police and government officials with a Mexican drug cartel in a multi-billion-dollar drug scam. Camarena was tortured at the hands of drug traffickers in Mexico.
To honor Camarena’s ultimate sacrifice, schools throughout the country observe Red Ribbon Week® with a variety of activities designed to promote a healthy and drug-free lifestyle.
The theme this year is “A Healthy Me is Drug Free™.” and the activities planned are:
• Monday, Oct. 14, pass out red ribbons and wear them. Color red ribbon color sheets.
• Tuesday, Oct. 15, “Black Out Drugs.” Wear something black to show support against drugs.
• Wednesday, Oct. 16, “Join the Fight Against Drugs.” Wear camouflage.
• Thursday, Oct. 17, “Team Up to be Drug Free.” Wear your favorite team shirt or jersey, and a BMX assembly at 1:30 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 18, “Don’t be Crazy, Stay Away From Drugs.” Wear crazy clothes.
Concerned parents are encouraged to become involved in promoting a drug-free lifestyle by signing the Red Ribbon Pledge. The pledge encourages communication and parental involvement in helping children understand the dangers of drug use and the consequences of substance abuse. For more information or to sign the pledge, visit http://redribbon.org/pledge/.
Also, The National Family Partnership announced the national contest for its 28th-annual Red Ribbon Week® from Oct. 23 to 31. This public service campaign helps parents and teachers prevent youth drug and alcohol abuse.
Community members may enter to win $1,000 for Idyllwild School and an iPad for the home.
• Students bring the Red Ribbon Week® message home by working alongside parents to decorate their front door, mailbox or fence with a red ribbon and this year’s theme “A Healthy Me Is Drug Free™.”
• Take a photo with the family and a Red Ribbon Week® decoration, then upload it to redribbon.org/contest by Nov. 4. Anyone uploading must be age 18 or older.
• Then the voting begins. Ask family and friends to vote for the entry at redribbon.org/vote between Nov. 5 and 19.
Ten winners from regions across the U.S. will win at redribbon.org on Dec. 6 and be recognized at winning schools throughout December.
Category: Idyllwild News