Past Tense: May 26, 2016

Share via email
In the Nov. 9, 1973 edition, Bruce Ross (left) is pictured here with members of his Concerned Citizens of the San Jacinto Mountain Area. The slate ran for seats on the Pine Cove Water District board as opponents of a proposed mobile home development on Dutch Flats. Pictured with Ross are (from left) Kathleen Flyer, reception hostess Mrs. Fred Gade and Lafe Ralstin. Ross is the new owner of the Red Kettle. file photo

In the Nov. 9, 1973 edition, Bruce Ross (left) is pictured here with members of his Concerned Citizens of the San Jacinto Mountain Area. The slate ran for seats on the Pine Cove Water District board as opponents of a proposed mobile home development on Dutch Flats. Pictured with Ross are (from left) Kathleen Flyer, reception hostess Mrs. Fred Gade and Lafe Ralstin. Ross is the new owner of the Red Kettle.
file photo

65 years ago - 1951

Sportland, in the village center, put up umbrella tables outside by the pool.

60 years ago - 1956

Seven students graduated from Idyllwild Elementary School: Gary Bischof, Janet Froehlich, Dianne Granger, Diane Hunt, Marianne McConnell, Linda Michelsen and Carolyn Waltrip.

55 years ago - 1961

A new state park trail was being built from Deer Springs to Fuller Ridge.

 

50 years ago - 1966

Plans for the county airport system called for an Idyllwild airport on a 60-acre site, most likely situated in Garner Valley. The plan never came to fruition.

45 years ago - 1971

The U.S. Forest Service and the California Department of Parks and Recreation announced that a permit would soon be required for hiking and camping in the roadless areas of national forest lands in California.

40 years ago - 1976

A cook shack in Eleanor Park called “The Broiler in the Park” served up hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs and French fries every day for lunch and dinner.

35 years ago - 1981

Idyllwild lost a landmark of sorts when “the chimney” situated beyond High Castle was torn down to make way for construction of a new house. The chimney had been a popular meditation spot for locals since the house around it burned down in 1953.

20 years ago - 1996

The Town Crier moved to Village Center Drive. Long-time residents may recall that the building originally housed the Forest Service from 1970 until 1985, when the agency moved to its present ranger station on Pine Crest Avenue.

                   15 years ago - 2001

  More than 200 people were on hand on a cool, misty Memorial Day to witness the annual American Legion Post 800 ceremony to honor those who have died serving the U.S. in war time.

10 years ago - 2006

Idyllwild Water District dedicated its solar plant. The 44-kilowatt solar array powers six of the district’s wells and its filtration plant.

5 years ago - 2011

Riverside County Sheriff Stan Sniff announced the potential layoff of up to 800 personnel. Cuts were planned in order to balance his budget for the next fiscal year as directed by the county executive.

1 year ago - 2015

Despite a four-year drought, the mountain recieved much-needed rainfall. Local residents hoped the May showers would bring many June flowers as the wettest May rainfall hit the Hill in many decades with a recorded 2.7 inches falling to Idyllwild residents and 0.3 inches for those living in Pine Cove.

Share via email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

s2Member®