Chimney fire damages house on Strong Drive

Share via email

A chimney fire burned the attic of a house on Strong Drive Sunday afternoon.
Photo by Cole Withers

Sunday afternoon, a chimney fire was reported at 55055 Strong Drive. Once the Idyllwild Fire Department crews arrived, they found heavy smoke coming through the eaves.

IFD sent five units and several other agencies assisted during the fire. Two engines came from Riverside County/Cal Fire. California Highway Patrol controlled traffic and Idyllwild Water staff, as well as Southern California Edison, were on the scene, according to Idyllwild Fire Chief Patrick Reitz.

Containment took about an hour and was hindered due to the construction and configuration of the internal floor plan, Reitz said, describing the incident.

“The fire originated in the area of the chimney in the attic and spread throughout the attic area,” Reitz said in an email. “… The bulk of the fire was contained to the attic with heavy water and smoke damage throughout the main floor of the structure. The house is uninhabitable at this time.”

He also stressed, “There were no working smoke detectors in the residence.”

He also urged residents to “have working smoke detectors, one in every bedroom, one in the halls outside the bedrooms, one on every floor and preferably with 10-year batteries. IFD reminds everyone to have chimneys cleaned and inspected on a regular basis by a certified chimney sweep.”

Share via email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

s2Member®