Below is the latest National Weather Service forecast for Idyllwild and the Hill. We received quite a bit of new fallen snow last night — 10 inches or more in town. Pine Cove residents are reporting 14 to 16 inches. But thanks to Cal Trans and Riverside county Roads, the roads have been plowed, travel around the Hill is fine.
Winter Weather Message
National Weather Service
San Diego CA 10:00 am pst Wed Feb 20 2013 ...
Scattered snow showers continuing in the mountains into this afternoon... .
Most of the snow has ended...but some light snow showers will continue late this morning into early this afternoon. Travel conditions will continue to be hazardous in the mountains due to previously fallen snow of mostly 7 to 14 inches.
Riverside County mountains-San Diego County mountains- including the following locations...Aguanga...Anza... Garner Valley...Idyllwild...Mountain Center...Pine Cove... Pinyon Pines...Vista Grande...
Winter storm warning remains in effect until noon pst today...
* Snow accumulations...total amounts of 4 to 8 inches above 3,500 feet, 6 to 12 inches above 4,500 feet. Local accumulations around 18 inches above 7,000 feet in the San Jacinto Mountains.
* Timing...most of the lingering snowfall will be light late this morning...ending early this afternoon.
* Winds...southwest to west winds 25 to 35 mph...with local gusts to around 60 mph near ridge tops and along desert mountain slopes.
* Visibility...reduced at times in snow...blowing snow...and fog.
* Impacts...Dnow will likely impact travel along Interstate 8 through the San Diego County mountains this morning. Residents and travelers into the mountains should be prepared for hazardous driving conditions. if possible... carry chains and take extra food and clothing. this weather may be deadly for unprepared campers and hikers.
* Report...10 inches of new snow at Mount Laguna in San Diego County. 8 inches of new snow near Garner Valley and Mountain Center in Riverside County. 7 inches at Julian in San Diego County.