Roy Wayne Davis of Pine Cove died peacefully at home in the early morning hours of Monday, March 10, 2008, after a long and devastating battle with cancer. He was 69 years old.

He is deeply missed by Kathy, his devoted wife and partner of almost 30 years. The cause of death was lung cancer, but he was also a 13-year prostate cancer survivor. He tolerated the constant effects of treatment for his cancers with patience and dignity, and endured never-ending losses with grace.

He was the second of six children born to Effie Louise Jones and Roy McCall Davis on Dec. 19, 1938, in Mexico, Mo. He served in the United States Navy from 1957 to 1960. There he underwent training as an electrician, which became his lifelong career. He lived in Chicago, Ill., and Mexico, Mo., where he raised two daughters, and he relocated to Southern California in 1973.

In 1980, he moved to Altadena with Kathy, where they lived for the next 26 years. He spent 20 years working in the motion picture industry, principally as chief electrician at The Culver Studios in Culver City. To say he loved working in the movies would be an understatement — it was the high point of his life, every day a new adventure. He was heartbroken when he was unable to continue working after being diagnosed with metastasized prostate cancer in 1995 and given three to five years to live.

He and Kathy went on to sell antiques and collectibles at swap meets across Southern California, including those at the Rose Bowl and Pasadena City College. In 2005, they finally fulfilled their dream, retiring to the mountains in Idyllwild. Sadly, they did not really have an opportunity to participate in their community or travel together as they had planned due to his worsening health.

His passion was fishing, particularly fly fishing. In Idyllwild, he realized his goal of living in a place where he could wake up in the morning and spontaneously decide to go fishing. He caught many trout at Lake Fulmor. He enjoyed working with his hands, restoring antique fishing equipment, rewrapping fly rods, refinishing furniture, rehabbing antiques and making jewelry. He was an inveterate collector of everything from fishing collectibles to antique and miniature tools to early jazz, blues and rock ’n’ roll records.

He loved music, the outdoors, the sea, camping, cars, coffee, sweets, the Lakers, playing the slots, working in his garage, wheeling and dealing, and hunting for treasures. He had a wealth of knowledge, extraordinary skills, boundless patience, an irreverent outlook, a strong sense of fairness, a wry sense of humor, a kind heart, a generous spirit, and a sparkle in his eye.

He is survived by his wife, Kathleen Barnes, of Pine Cove; his two daughters, Marcie Davis and Vickie Davis Barker, as well as his son-in-law Billy Barker, of Missouri; two grandchildren, Matthew and Hailey Olmos, and their father, his “son,” Chris Olmos, of Sylmar; his four brothers and one sister; and his constant companion, Jazmine.

A gathering of friends to celebrate his life is being planned for a Saturday in mid-May at Lake Fulmor. Please call 659-8329 for more information.