Steve and Amanda Taylor celebrate the opening of their Artisans’ Gallery in the Oakwood Village Shops in this February 2007 photo. The gallery is no longer in business and the location now houses The Hub. File photo

65 years ago – 1948
With the Southern California Council of Camera Clubs about to visit the Hill, local folks were urged to look as “mountainy and picturesque” as possible.

60 years ago – 1953
Dan Slanker, founder of the local American Legion Post 800 in 1948, was honored at Hillbilly Lodge by fellow members.

55 years ago – 1958
“Here’s Opportunity,” read a Town Crier classified that advertised a “small beat-up cabin” on over an acre of land for $3,750.

50 years ago – 1963
Idyllwild’s community Christmas tree succumbed to fir beetles and had to be removed.

45 years ago – 1968
The ISOMATA (now Idyllwild Arts Academy) Festival Choir gave a free public concert and donated $1,000 toward building a rehearsal hall on the campus.

40 years ago – 1973
Forty volunteers braved wind and rain, planting 3,000 seedlings to reforest a portion of the Vista burn.

35 years ago – 1978
Census takers queried area residents in an attempt to count dwellings and people living in Idyllwild, Pine Cove and Mountain Center.

30 years ago – 1983
Idyllwild Elementary School kindergarten teacher Martha Reiman was recognized as a “Rock & Pillar of the Community” by the Idyllwild Rotary Club.

25 years ago – 1988
A plan of operation for the proposed Idyllwild area emergency radio station was released.

20 years ago – 1993
The Hill was drenched again when a weekend storm brought about 4 inches of rain and 4 inches of snow. The season, being dubbed as “the wet winter of 1992-93,” had already brought more than 43 inches of moisture.

15 years ago – 1998
Laughter filled the packed Idyllwild Pizza Company as fans welcomed another season of comedy to the Hill. The program featured entertainers Cindy Eaton and Fred Greenlee.

10 years ago – 2003
The Chamber of Commerce and the Idyllwild Community Recreation Council brought a request to Idyllwild Water District to restore Dutch Flat for softball games.

5 years ago – 2008
“A Colored Life: The Herb Jeffries Story,” a documentary about Herb Jeffries’ career, premiered at the Rustic Theatre.

1 year ago – 2012
A man carrying a weapon robbed the Mountain Top Liquor store on Highway 243 on a Sunday evening.

Similar Posts

  • Past Tense: October 20, 2016

    60 years ago – 1956 Hill Republicans and Independent voters turned out 134 strong to the Dwight Eisenhower birthday party at the Hillbilly Lodge. Featured speaker was Loyd Wright Sr., president of the American Bar Association. 55 years ago – 1961 The Tahquitz Lake Golf Club opened to capacity business. 50 years ago – 1966…

  • |

    Past Tense: July 16, 2020

    70 years ago – 1950 Realtors were advertising cabins with fireplaces for $3,750 and acre-sized lots for $1,250. 65 years ago – 1955 C.L. Emerson died in Hemet at the age of 82. He had been associated with the early development of Idyllwild and purchased the Idyllwild Inn in 1917. 60 years ago – 1960…

  • |

    Past Tense: July 21, 2016

    65 years ago – 1951 The Chamber of Commerce, working on a community recreation program, was raffling off a brand new Chevrolet to raise money for Town Hall. 60 years ago – 1956 The first tour of mountain homes was sponsored by the Idyllwild Community Church Guild. Among the tour homes were Florence Schisler’s High…

  • Past tense: June 12, 2014

    65 years ago – 1949 The newly formed lake on the Banning-Idyllwild Highway was officially named Lake Fulmor in honor of A.C. Fulmor, county planning commissioner and surveyor whose mission and ingenuity played a prominent part in the realization of the highway.   60 years ago – 1954 Desert Sun School held commencement exercises for…

  • |

    Past tense: July 24, 2014

    65 years ago – 1949 Street lights came to Fern Valley Corners.   60 years ago – 1954 Members of the Riverside Community Settlement Association were the first guests to enjoy the facilities of Camp Lawler, an 80-acre estate given to the county by a Los Angeles attorney.   55 years ago – 1959 Chamber…