On Jan. 23, acting Riverside County Fire Chief Daniel R. Talbot reopened seven hiking areas throughout the region.
Effective Thursday, Feb. 1, they are:
• Avery Canyon, (Gibbel Road east of State Street in Hemet)
• North Mountain and Indian Canyon (San Jacinto area)
• Whitewater Canyon (Cabazon, north of Palm Springs)
• Nuevo/Lakeview (east of Menifee Road and San Jacinto Avenue)
• Minto (Sage)
• Reinhardt Canyon (north of Highway 74 and California Avenue in Hemet)
• Ramona Bowl and Bautista Canyon (southeast Hemet)
“I encourage you to visit these beautiful hiking trails throughout Riverside County and would like to remind residents and visitors in Riverside County that we live in a very wildfire-prone area,” said Talbot in a press release. “We are experiencing unseasonably warm, dry conditions which increases fire danger. Please be fire safe.”
Future closures may be implemented based on weather conditions and wildfire threat.
For more information on the areas open to the public, contact the Public Affairs Bureau at 951-940-6985. To view maps of the hiking areas, visit www.rvcfire.org.