As of Monday, Dec. 10, Riverside County residents may again apply for a burn permit. Issuance of the permits was suspended earlier this year.
Cooler temperatures, higher humidity and winter weather have begun to diminish the threat of wildfire.
Cal Fire Riverside Unit Chief Shawn C. Newman advises that those possessing current valid agriculture and residential burn permits can now resume burning on permissible burn days.
Residents wishing to burn must verify it is a permissive burn day prior to burning by contacting the Air Quality Management District at, or contacting Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Department at 951-940-6949.
If one wishes to burn a pile of debris or slash, the requirements are:
• Only tumbleweeds may be burned.
• The burning of trash, painted wood or other debris is not allowed.
• Do not burn on windy days.
• Piles should be no larger than 4 feet in diameter and in height. You can add to a pile as it burns down.
• Clear a 10-foot diameter down to bare soil around your piles.
• Have a shovel and a water source nearby.
• An adult is required to be in attendance of the fire at all times.
Day and overnight campers should check with their area state and county parks to verify if permit requirements are in place or have been lifted to have a campfire.
For more information on burning, visit the Cal Fire website at To locate your closest fire station to obtain a burn permit, visit
Idyllwild residents should also contact the Idyllwild Fire Department at 659-2153.