Special programs for teens:
A special event for teens this coming Saturday, June 28, at 2 p.m.: Interested in free job training? Want to learn new job skills and good work habits? How would you like some fine letters of recommendation from local nonprofit organizations? Become a volunteer. Teen summer volunteers are needed for our local nonprofit organizations. You can help your community and your own career chances at the same time. Come by and learn how.
The library kicks off its teen Wild Side Film Series on Wednesday, June 25 at 3 p.m. with “Life of Pi.” Further films will be “Rascal” on July 2, “Eragon” on July 9 and “Epic” on July 16, all at 3 p.m. Read the book, watch the movie, eat our popcorn. Fun.
Stuffed Animal Sleepover : Drop off your favorite stuffed animal reading buddy on Saturday, July 12, and pick them up on Monday, July 14. While their here at the library you can follow their activities on Facebook and Twitter. See them reading with their friends and having a great time. But remember to pick them up on Monday and take them home for a nap. They’ll be tuckered out from all the fun they’ve had over the weekend.
Wildlife on Wheels: Exotic animals from The Living Desert in Palm Desert are coming for a visit on Saturday, July 19 at 2 p.m.
Paws Photo Contest: From July 21 to July 26, you may enter a photograph of you reading to your pet or stuffed animal. Then come in and vote for your favorite photos. The winner will be announced at the Paws Party on July 28.
Mondays at 10:30 a.m. are for Children’s Storytimes:
• June 30: Mountain Paws: “Tracks, Pelts and Skulls” featuring Scott from the Idyllwild Nature Center. Also, “Yogi’s Vacation in Idyllwild,” read by author Sally Hedberg.
• July 7: Jungle Paws: Enjoy a jungle puppet show and flannel board story with Miss Karrie.
• July 14: Cat Paws: Miss Rachel will share Skippyjon Jones stories, a cat who thinks he’s a Chihuahua. And Living Free will bring some pets for a visit.
• July 21: Pet Paws: A whole parade of pet stories. ARF will share better ways to care for our pets. And author Andrea Charles will read her new book, “Harvey’s Favorite Day.”
• On July 28: Paws Party: Awards, prizes, snacks and a featured balloon artist and face painter.
Ongoing reading programs:
Legends! Library Program 2014, June 2 to June 30: Children read one book per week to receive Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus discount tickets, bookmarks and maybe win a family four-pack of free tickets.
Fizz Boom Save for College, June 16 to July 28: Sign up for summer reading and enter for a chance to win a $500 ScholarShare 529 account from California’s 529 College Savings Plan and TIAA-CREF Tuition Financing Inc. in partnership with the California State Library. Forty prizes are available statewide, and the library wins if you do.
And, yes, there is a summer reading program for adults 18 and over. It runs from June 24 to July 28 and features weekly prize drawings. The more you read, the more you can enter. Come by the library for complete rules.
Paws to Read. Paws to Give Summer Drive, June 21 to July 28: This summer we are joining libraries across California to support local organizations who benefit animals. We will partner with Living Free and ARF to collect needed items on their wish lists. Help us support our animals in Idyllwild.