Jim Crandall, Palms to Pines Golf Association handicap chair, gave this report about the Friday, Dec. 18, regular monthly golf tournament, played at The Country Club at Soboba Springs.
The course was in good shape with fast greens. The greens were so fast that on a sloping green, you could putt uphill to a hole and, if you missed, it could roll back down to from where you started from or worse.
John Brower (course handicap 9) and Dave Robb (14) tied for first place with net 69s. Pete Holzman (10) came in third with a net 72, John LoGiudice (21) took fourth with a net 73, and Lev Sanford (23) and Scott Schroeder (20) tied for fifth with net 75s.
Brower won the low-gross side pot with his 78.
The closest-to-the-pin winners on the four par 3s were Barry Wallace on holes No. 4 and No. 13, and Brower was closest on holes No. 8 and No. 15.
The shot of the day goes to Don DePalma (38). The 120-yard par 3 fourth hole is set up so that you tee off from the top of a hill down to the green below. Between the tee and the green is a lake. DePalma hit his tee shot into the lake, it skipped across, bounced off the bank on the far side, and rolled up onto the green.
The 2015-16 season runs from August 2015 through July 2016.
Here are the year-to-date points:
1 Lee Lanfried 17.5
2 Dave Robb 16.5
3 John Brower 13
4 Pete Capparelli 12
5 Pete Holzman 9.33
6 John King 8.5
7 Barry Wallace 7
8 Barry Zander 5.33
9 Jim Crandall 5
10 John LoGiudice 3
11 Gary Brown 2.5
tied Lev Sanford 2.5
13 Chris Kramer 2
14 Don DePalma 1.5
tied Tom Flanagan 1.5
David Hiemenz 1.5
17 Bob Baker 1
tied Jerry Daquila 1
Ken Garelick 1
Bill Ragland 1
Walt Reeves 1
Tony Viola 1
24 Robert Priefer 0.83
Points are awarded at each tournament as follows: first place, 6 points; second place, 4 points; third place, 3 points; fourth place, 2 points; fifth place, 1 point. Also, one-half point is awarded to everyone who participates.
A member has to compete in at least five regular-season tournaments to qualify for the playoffs.
The club is a member of the Southern California Golf Association and is sanctioned to establish SCGA handicaps for members.
Town Hall Adult Co-ed Softball Coordinator Ginger Dagnall gave this report on recent games.
• Dec 14, Idyllwild Garage beat Idyllwild Inn in four games.
• Dec 16, Idyllwild Garage beat Soil Supply Co. in five games.
• Dec 17, Silver Pines Lodge beat Idyllwild Vacation Rentals in three games.
• Dec 18, Silver Pines Lodge beat La Casita in three games.
• Dec 19, six matches were played from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Silver Pines pulled another second win against La Casita in three games. Silver Pines then beat Soil Supply Co. in four games and each game was super close. Soil Supply Co. managed to take its first win against La Casita in four games and all were close scores. Idyllwild Inn beat a tough team Idyllwild Garage in five hard-played games, only beating by a few points each game. Idyllwild Inn beat Idyllwild Vacation Rentals in four games. Idyllwild Garage beat Idyllwild Vacation Rentals in give games but Vacation Rentals gave them a run for their money.
Idyllwild Garage 4 1
Silver Pines Lodge 4 1
Idyllwild Inn 3 1
Soil Supply Co. 2 2
Idyllwild Vacation Rentals 0 4
La Casita 0 4
Idyllwild School Basketball
Town Hall Basketball