Update 2 p.m., Monday afternoon, Feb. 27
No accumulation yet, snow falling but not sticking.
Here's the Cal Trans update on chains
St Route 243
R1 CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM THE Junction of St Rte 74 in MOUNTAIN CENTER TO LAKE FULMOR
Winter Storm Warning
Winter Storm Warning
Urgent - winter weather message
National Weather Service
San Diego CA 12:35 p.m. Mon Feb 27 2012
...strong winds and areas of heavy snowfall in the mountains tonight... .
a strong winter storm will move across southwest California later today and tonight. strong gusty southwest to west winds are already occurring over the mountains and desert areas. Moderate rain and snow will develop this afternoon … with periods of heavy precipitation and isolated thunderstorms will also be possible this afternoon and evening. hail and thunder snow is possible. Snow levels will rapidly fall to around 2,500 feet early this evening … and may be locally lower with heavier showers and thunderstorms.
Riverside County mountains- - including the following locations...Aguanga...Anza... Garner Valley...Idyllwild...Mountain Center...Pine Cove... Pinyon Pines...Vista Grande...Boulevard...Cuyamaca...Descanso... Julian... Lake Henshaw...Morena Village Mount Laguna...Pine Valley...Ranchita
...A winter storm warning for heavy snow remains in effect until 3 a.m. Tuesday
* Snow levels: near 4,500 feet...falling to 2,500 feet early this evening
* Snow accumulations: 3 to 8 inches below 5,000 feet...with 8 to 18 inches at the higher elevations.
* timing: scattered light snow showers will become widespread late this afternoon and evening ...with periods of moderate to heavy snow developing. Snow showers will continue through the night ...and gradually taper off Tuesday morning.
* Winds: southwest to west 25 to 35 mph...with local gusts to 55 mph over the ridges.
* Visibility: reduced to near zero at times in fog...snow...and blowing snow.
* impacts: residents and travelers into higher elevations in the mountains should be prepared for hazardous driving conditions due to slick roads and reduced visibility. if possible...carry chains and take extra food and clothing. This weather could be deadly for unprepared campers or hikers.
* Precautionary/preparedness actions... a winter storm warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. if you must travel... keep an extra flashlight...food...and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.