Shortly after noon, the night after the Wednesday, April 11 fire destroyed Shane Stewart’s home on Howland Road, a relief crew from Idyllwild Fire Protection District was on scene. IFPD Captain Mike Mulhull was directing crews that were hosing down the still smoldering wreckage. Within the house, firefighters were being careful of the potential for falling beams.
Mulhull theorized the fire started in the cavernous great room of the home since that is where the greatest damage is. The great room, probably more than 30 feet from floor to pitched roofline, was completely gutted, as the accompanying photos show.