65 years ago - 1949
Thirty campsites were being installed at Lake Fulmor, but they no longer exist.
60 years ago - 1954
Building permits is- sued on the Hill were at a record high.
55 years ago - 1959
In a freak accident, Lily Rock claimed its first victim in more than 24 years. Daniel Guiner, 23, a Cal Tech exchange student from Paris, died when he was struck in the head by a tree limb flying through the air.
50 years ago - 1964
A major topic at the Chamber of Commerce meeting was the problem of the reckless use of motor bikes on the Hill.
45 years ago - 1969
Idyllwild had another new restaurant, the Chart House.
35 years ago - 1979
About 1,500 campers were evacuated from Silent Valley Campground after a boy contracted bubonic plague after camping there.
30 years ago - 1984
Noted editor and author Norman Cousins spoke at Town Hall. His topic, “Armageddon Deferred,” addressed “the requirements for world peace in the face of the conflict between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R.”
25 years ago - 1989
Plans for the Center of Idyllwild project (now known as The Fort) passed the initial approval phase and would soon go before the Riverside County Planning Commission for a public hearing.
20 years ago - 1994
Hemet Unified School District Board of Trustees President Bill Sanborn announced that Idyllwild School had a good chance of getting funds for a science laboratory.
15 years ago - 1999
Many locals were getting ready for the annual 5k and 10k Run and Fitness Walk sponsored by Idyllwild School PTA.
10 years ago - 2004
After more than a year of planning, the Idyllwild Community Recreation Council began work on the Skate Park.
1 year ago - 2013
The Idyllwild Community Center/San Jacinto Mountain Community Center was to celebrate the first birthday of its popular Idyllwild Playground from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 8.